While snowflakes are falling in most other cities except ours, we like to create games and activities that remind us of being in the snow! There are many ways to use this ABC Snowflake DIY Game. It’s also one of my favorites because it’s so easy to make!
- Large construction paper – 12×18 (2 pieces, so it’s sturdy and also because we can use the other side for a second game board)
- Snowflake die cuts, Cricut cuts, or any other winter-themed shapes you have at home
- Sharpie marker
Creating the Game
- Glue the snowflake shapes to the construction paper.
- On each snowflake, using your Sharpie marker, write 1 letter of the alphabet until all 26 are used.
- For variation, you can choose either upper or lower case depending on what concept you are focusing on.
3 Ways to Play
- I like to use a drawstring bag to place ABC’s into so that the kiddos have to pull out a letter and match it to the game board. You can use upper or lower case. The child pulls out the letter, says the name/sound and covers the letter with its matching letter from the drawstring bag.
- Using a deck of ABC cards, each child takes turns choosing a card on the top of the deck and then saying the name of the letter, while also finding the letter on the game board. If the child says the correct letter/sound, then the child gets to cover that letter on the game board with a game piece. I use colored chips so that each child has his/her own color chips. Once the entire deck is gone, each child adds up how many game pieces he or she has on the game board. The winner is the child with the most game pieces on the ABC game board.
- For children who are working on tracing and fine motor skills, I would give them dry erase markers so they can trace over the letters. For older kiddos who are also working on their letters/sounds, children can name and sound each letter as they trace over the letters.
Here’s another game that I created on the opposite side so that its’s a dual purpose game board!
5 Days to Making Your Baby Shower Plan eCourse
Let go of the overwhelm and let's plan this baby shower together and wow your guests and mom-to-be! With any size budget and very little crafting talent, you can get started today planning an amazing baby shower you can be proud of.