Teaching addition can be the most fun, I promise! With just a few supplies and some DIY ability, you can keep the little mathematicians in your life busy and learning! I’m excited to share with you a fun way to practice addition with this Pumpkin Addition Math Game!
Pumpkin Addition Math Game
This math game is suitable for grades Kindergarten-First grade. I would use this in a small group setting or in a math center once the activity has been modeled. With just a few frugal supplies you’ll be on your way to creating a fun math experience your children will want to keep playing!
Pumpkin Addition Poster Board Assembly:
- Draw a large pumpkin on a piece of white poster board (don’t be too hard on yourself, free hand will do)
- Glue pumpkin shaped die-cuts or calendar cut-outs to the poster board by creating your own game board path, with a start and finish.
- Write the words, “start” and “finish” using a sharpie marker on 2 of the pumpkins.
- If possible, laminate the game board so that you can use it year after year (optional).
Supplies Needed to Play:
- Pumpkin manipulatives or candies
- Dry erase marker and eraser and whiteboard (optional)
- Game board pieces (fall leaves, pumpkins)
How to Play:
- Player number #1 rolls 2 dice.
- Player #1 creates a number sentence with the numbers rolled on the dice.
- Player #1 uses a dry erase marker and white board (or laminate floor, like I did) OR pencil and paper to write their equation.
- Player #1 uses pumpkin manipulatives or candies to show a picture representation of their math sentence and also check their work.
- Player #1 can move one space along the game board if number sentence is correct. If not, then player doesn’t move.
- Player #2 proceeds as player #1 did.
- Game continues until the first player reaches the finish line.
I hope that this Pumpkin Addition Math Game helps the little ones in your life grow in their mathematics skills while also having fun!
Have a wonderful, pumpkin-tastic fall!